For now though I am going to show you the first phase of what I did to customize a very plain boring grey dress, there is 2 phases here just so I didn't bombard you guys with too much information!
So this was my dress, it is a maxi dress just so you are all aware.
- Sewing Machine (for phase 2)
- Tailors Chalk
- Fabric Scissors
-Thread of chosen colour (phase 2)
- A ruler of some kind
- Sewing Machine equipment
- So I wanted to make the length of the dress shorter so I marked on the fabric where I wanted to cut it with my tailors chalk
- Then I used my ruler item to put a line across for me to follow when I cut it
- Using fabric scissors cut along the line.
You should be left with a piece like this (below) DO NOT put in the bin because if you wish to continue onto Phase 2 you will need it! So put it to one side for later.
- At the bottom of the dress I wanted to make fringing
- Pin the front and back of the dress together at the bottom to keep it even
- Start cutting
TOP TIP - When fringing don't worry too much about making the fringes completely even in thickness, its meant to look raw!